Saturday, October 20, 2012

Three people got fired from my job on Friday


Getting fired sucks. I overheard three people getting fired on Friday.   I work in the computer field.  The company I work recently outsourced it's computer systems to a hosting facility last January.  Very few corporations actually own their own computer systems any more.  Instead the lease time and space on remote computers on a monthly or yearly basis at a managed hosting facility.

One of the network guys, Reggie, who I only talked to a little bit, left immediately.  I guess he knew what was up and had good skills.

But two other guys, Sam and Kevin, stayed.  Sam, had been with the company for 15 years and worked as a computer operator.  He was a local guy with a high school education.  When they outsourced the computer systems, they gave Sam a job on the helpdesk. But Sam had trouble keeping up and answering calls.

Kevin, the late shift operator, who used to cover 4pm to 12am really had no work at all.  I think he had a second job some place.  He was an immigrant from a west Asian country.  He was down to managing backup tapes.

That, along with a 3rd guy, in computer support, whom I did not know at all, were let go a 4:30 on Friday.  Bam !  Pack your stuff, give me you access card, get out.

So, I am trying to decide if the company did the right thing and if it even matters.  They did know the computers were gone and they had very little work.  The company did try to give one a job on the helpdesk.

But I also see, read and hear how tough it is in the labor market in the US.

Long story short, I gotta look for a job with more job-security like teaching or the government.

No comments:

Blog Archive