Writing a blog is a pain in the neck. You are always looking for a story.
I noticed this morning, while I was looking for something to write about, that comparing racial groups and disparities was a nice quick story. In this case I was looking at some of data about employment by industry. Certain groups are more prevalent in certain industries. You can look at Whites in farming, Black barbers or Asian computer professionals.
The results always makes a good story. It makes a raw comparison of different groups in an "objective" manner and points out the winners and losers. Boy, what fun. My group is better than yours. Ha, Ha. Or as my kids say "Nanny-Nanny Poo Poo."
But there are much more complex and inciteful questions to ask such as "Why is that ?" and "It is fair?" Was the competition fair ?? Was it organized in a clear and transparent manner ? Does the competition benefit the larger society ?? Did the benefits accrue to all members of society ??
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (14)
- ► 2013 (47)
- ► 2012 (77)
- ► 2011 (105)
- "The Great Doubling:" New Global Labor Market v2
- Where we work: Employment by Race and Gender and G...
- Looking for a Story: Ask "Why?" or "Was it Fair ??...
- Tax policy from Brookings and Urban Institute
- Happiness Poll by Gallup
- US Tries to Steer Textile Purchases to Haiti
- "Lack of Black Doctors Traced to Pre-College Facto...
- Total Black Employment 1972 to 2009
- Black Employment Drops 1.4 Million During Recessio...
- The New Global Labor Market
- Unemployment by Class (Income)
- Black U-6 Near 25%!!!
- Non Farm Payroll drops only 20,000 Jobs
- Black Unemployment Hits Record 16.5%
- Executive Branch Budget Proposal Released
- Phoney debt scams: You can't get much lower than 0...
- Real help for Haiti: Impose Martial Law Now.
- Stimulus update
- Research File Dump
- ▼ February (19)