Have you noticed how many people these days are working by the book. They do only the acceptable minimum. Then they happily add some irrelevant task or information that is a waste of time but acceptable to their employer.
They are always and seeking the lowest trouble route. There is no more above an beyond. I was in line at the store and an older, maybe 70, lady presented a $5 roll of dimes. The lady at the registrar opened the roll and counted out the dimes one by one.
I could not believe she didn't trust the old lady not to be off more than a dime or so. But that was not the point. Counting out the dimes was a nice easy job without any risk of thinking or messing up.
Or customer service, when they ask if I want an extra insurance policy on the BOOK I have just purchase.
Or the guy at the airport who rejects 50.5 pound bag.
Or the cop who writes up every infraction rather than give a warning.
Anyway, you got the idea. No one wants to mess-up any more, so everyone wroks by the book. They can't fire you for "following orders."
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (14)
- ► 2013 (47)
- ► 2012 (77)
- Evil Black Economist Expands
- Morehouse College and Jobs and outsourcing
- Working by the book
- Times must be tough. Begging disguised as tipping....
- Well looking for a job again
- Corporate profit near all time high
- Wanted: Mind Reader, X-ray vision and ability to f...
- January Unemployment drops because people are leav...
- Black - White happiness gap is narrowing
- Harvard Study Says College is not for Everyone
- ▼ February (10)
- ► 2010 (99)