The Pew Research Center has publish a report that show the asset ratio between Whites as compared to Blacks and Hispanics has has jumped from 7:1 in 1995 to 20:1 in 2010. An increase of nearly 300%. The primary reason is the increase in Black unemployment and the number of sub-prime foreclosures.
The summary is here and the full study is here.
Unfortunately, the heart of the problem is that the assets were reported at paper value not a the risk adjusted price. So Black and Hispanic asset values (houses) were overstated. We the housing bubble popped you got a more realistic view which coupled with the recession explains the wide gap. Things have not really changed.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (14)
- ► 2013 (47)
- ► 2012 (77)
- Black/Hispanic vs. Wealth Gap Takes Huge Jump - 30...
- Everyone should be unemployed for a short-time
- Discrimination against the long term unemployed
- "The White Man's Ice is Cooler ?"
- Our Black Year: One couple buys only from Black Bu...
- Teachers: Pay More, Demand More
- Dropouts: The high cost to society of dropping ou...
- Brazil as a 6.2% unemployment rate
- How to create jobs
- June unemployment report is worse than May. Black ...
- Build national bike lanes for jobs, environment an...
- The real debate in Washington and John Rawls
- Monster Employment Index: MEI
- Debt crisis was caused by tax cuts, two wars and a...
- Visit out Black Economic News Blog. Now Updated D...
- Scholars we follow
- ▼ July (17)
- ► 2010 (99)