NPR is about to start a series on people who drop out of high school. Dropouts have an enormous total cost on society. The series is here. Mr. Sanchez explores the true cost to society of the lost potential of dropouts.
The issue is a perfect microcosm for US society and it's growing inequality. You can just as easily switch "dropout" with poor person or Black or Hispanic person. I must congradulate Claudio Sanchez for finding a way to discuss what the majority do not want to discuss: The growing US underclass. The unwritten theme is what do we owe our fellow citizens ?
We love this new focus on education. Education is the one workable lever in the US for reducing inequality in society. The GOP has stopped all others. Everyone is pulling on the lever: Obama, Bill Gates, Congress, Bloomberg, Jeffery Canada. But no one knows what to do.
- ► 2017 (44)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (14)
- ► 2013 (47)
- ► 2012 (77)
- Black/Hispanic vs. Wealth Gap Takes Huge Jump - 30...
- Everyone should be unemployed for a short-time
- Discrimination against the long term unemployed
- "The White Man's Ice is Cooler ?"
- Our Black Year: One couple buys only from Black Bu...
- Teachers: Pay More, Demand More
- Dropouts: The high cost to society of dropping ou...
- Brazil as a 6.2% unemployment rate
- How to create jobs
- June unemployment report is worse than May. Black ...
- Build national bike lanes for jobs, environment an...
- The real debate in Washington and John Rawls
- Monster Employment Index: MEI
- Debt crisis was caused by tax cuts, two wars and a...
- Visit out Black Economic News Blog. Now Updated D...
- Scholars we follow
- ▼ July (17)
- ► 2010 (99)